Http://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.co.uk

Saturday, November 13, 2010

2nd part of visit to Marche des Puces

Some of the stall holders were real characters and this guy was certainly one of those! He didn't mind me photographing and thought waving his rather large cigar around with gay abandon, was very funny!

Some of the stallholders just had loads of boxes on their tables, with all sorts of things in them. Old swords, old tin boxes, candle holders, metal rulers and so many other odd looking things. Fascinating!
French and English hats being very friendly....Entente cordiale!
I spotted this young boy with his Mum and he was so excited at being allowed to look at this book. It was so sweet to see. He just wanted to see book after book and thankfully his mum went along with it.
There were a lot of stalls with African Arts on them. Some of them looked a bit "homemade", if you know what l mean, and not quite right. Maybe l am being very over suspicious but l know Ethnic Art quite well!

Don't these little wetsuits hanging on the fence look cute?..so small!
Once again, lots more fur for sale! I know most of it was very old but that is no excuse to want to wear it now. Well that's my opinion anyway.
The bed these clothes are resting on, is an old camp cot. People going on Safari or just going camping on an expedition used them in the Edwardian period and possibly before.
I laughed when l saw this old washboard being sold as an antique. I used to use one when my children were small and l had no washing machine. That was around 1975 to about 1978. Not that long ago really....! Ha!  Can you also see the metal fireguard? I only bought a fireguard for my son the other day, so their new puppy will be safe. Did you know how hard it is to actually find a shop that sells a good fireguard at a reasonable cost?
I thought it was so sad to see personal stuff being sold on stalls. Why wouldn't relatives want this stuff? We still have Tony's old trunk used in the Army, which originally was his father's trunk in the Royal Air Force and is now on it's way to our son, Andrew in a few weeks or so. history rolls on.
Again, more fur and, l hate to say this but, it does look so soft and luxurious.
I was so upset to see this turtle for sale. It was very old but, even so, it is so sad to see it here and not swimming in the sea where it belongs. Having said l am sad, l also have to say what a beautiful looking creature...

As the saying goes, everything but the kitchen sink but, in this case,...including the kitchen sink! Ha!
This Arabic book was so beautiful and exquisitely created. I would have loved to have been able to buy it. It should be in a museum or in a collection of some sort.

 I wonder if this bright red TV still works. I remember when this was the normal size for a TV but maybe not always this colour!

 As you got to the end of the stalls, things began to get cheaper and cheaper. This was almost the last seller in the Market and he was selling a large bag of rice, an open jar of instant coffee, a few new toy cars, a packet of biscuits and a box of unopened Teabags. Times are hard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Linda, I know Putney, I lived in Purley, near Croydon for 5 years, did my O'levels (as they were called way back then) and got my BA. I'll be following you, too :-)
BTW that Arabic book.. how much is it? Is it Koran or something else? Do you know?

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

OH Lynda --- the good, the bad (Just Hate it when I learn that something I used is now an antique), and the ugly (selling a turtle?)....(the turtle is beautiful, the selling not so much.
But that means all the rest of your photos are beautiful! Thanks for sharing them all (well, even the bad and the ugly are good pictures, but you know what I mean!)