Http://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.co.uk

Thursday, June 01, 2006





CCTV project. "Without permission". I have had a lot of emails asking me to explain this project in more detail. Here goes. The average Londoner is caught on CCTV cameras on average 100 times a day! This made me wonder if people realise that this is happening? so l decided to set up a camera on a tripod and see how close l could get to people(only taking images of people who loked at me) before they started to ask questions or get annoyed! I kept a journal ( one page is displayed on this page) on the days l went out and l went out 2 or 3 times a week on average and spent 3 or more hours in the same place. I didi this to give people a chance to actually approach me. It is an interesting project. Some people asked me straight away what l was doing and didn't seem upset at all infact were quite interested in it. Some people just moved and others just smiled at me. Others thought l was an undercover cop!, others may be l was aterrorist, a spy or may be someone from the council keeping tabs on everyone!!!!It seems that people do not like CCTV cameras but once they can see the person behind the camera...it's better! If you have any other questions please ask...that is if anyone is reading this!

2 comments:

Rufino said...

It seems a very interesting project to me. I was surfing through Flickr and found a picture of your project and led to your site. I like your way of speaking of everyday events which is clearly sumarized in your serious search for happyness.

Having been twice in London I recall many of the places I went to but in a different fashion, from another angle. Congratulations on your point of view!!

Francisco - Santiago, Chile

Ps: This is the firt time I post a comment in a blog, I hope it gets to you.

Lynda Howells said...

l have been away from this blog for a while...but now l am back! Thanks for your comments.